In queso emergency open a can of chili! Get it? Get it? In queso = in case of? Haha *snort* haha *snort. Sorry. That wasn't even my own joke. I googled "queso jokes" and that little zinger popped up. Sorry.
Vida Vegan Con Cookbooklette that I won on Jenn's giveaway a few weeks ago? This Creamy Cauliflower Queso is another recipe from the cookbooklette, and it is the creation of the one and only Ms Cadry McAwesomePants of Cadry's Kitchen. It's a super smooth and creamy queso that is gluten free and soy-free if you use salt instead of miso. Sautéed onions and garlic give this dip a lovely flavor, and jalapeños and hot sauce give it a nice kick. I used only half of my queso for this chili to keep the chili-to-queso ratio even, but if you want you can pour the whole thing over your chili!
The "recipe" for the Chili con Queso is not a recipe at all. If you can open a can of your favorite chili and pour Cadry's queso over it - you've pretty much made dinner! I used a can of Amy's Kitchen chili which was pretty spicy but not too fiery for my wimpy taste buds. You could make your own chili from scratch, of course, but sometimes a girl just can't be bothered to chop an onion. Amirite or amirite?
1 can of your favorite chili
1/2 batch of Cadry's Creamy Cauliflower Queso
minced green onions, cilantro, parsley or whatever floats your boat
And here's how to put this complicated dish together:
1. Turn the broiler on medium low. (450 degrees F)
2. Pour the chili into a saucepan or small pot and heat it on medium heat.
3. Pour the hot chili into a deep, broiler safe baking dish. Mine is a 7 x 5 ceramic baking dish that is about two inches deep. If you're going with a full batch of queso you'll need a deeper dish!
4. Pour the queso evenly on top. Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet (to catch any drippings that would otherwise fall on the bottom of your oven and then you would probably cast a curse upon my house) and broil for about 10 minutes or until the top of the queso looks a bit crusty.
5. Garnish with minced green onions or whatever toppings you chose and eat up!
This is a belly-warming meal that has lazy almost-winter evening written all over it. The spiciness of the chili blends beautifully with the creaminess of the queso, and it's a very filling meal. It makes enough for two. I wish I had baked some cornbread to make this comfort food even more comforting! Thanks for sharing the Creamy Cauliflower Queso recipe, Cadry! :)
|Hi! I am currently being an antisocial hermit and not monitoring my blog comments. If you are in mortal peril and need to contact me, you can reach me at wingitvegan (at) gmail.com. Back to my hermit cave now.|