Last year I was obsessed with beet burgers and coconut milk cheddar. This year I can’t get enough of this Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I’ve blogged about it before here and here. Yesterday I used the sauce to make individual potato casseroles.
|Super Low-Fat Mini Potato Casseroles with Chipotle Peppers
Makes 4 individual casseroles
1 batch of Fat Free Vegan Kitchen’s Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce (double the cornstarch)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray four individual 5 inch ramekins with cooking spray. I used crème brûlée ramekins.
2. Prepare your Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce if you haven’t done so yet.
3. Wash and peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly with a mandolin slicer. You could slice them by hand, but it would take a long time and your potatoes would start to turn that icky shade of pink that makes them look so unappetizing. If you have no choice but to slice them by hand, you can keep the sliced potatoes in a bowl filled with cold water to keep them from turning pink as you slice the rest.
4. Chop or slice the chipotle peppers. I seeded mine because I am a heat wimp, but you can leave the seeds if you want it to be super hot. I used only one chipotle pepper for all my individual casseroles and that was enough for my wimpy taste buds.
4. Pour a little bit of the Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce into each ramekin. Just enough to cover the bottom. Top with a layer of sliced potatoes (keep half of the potatoes for another layer) scatter some of the chipotle on top of the potatoes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Pour about half of the remaining sauce to cover the potatoes and peppers and repeat with the other half of your sliced potatoes and chipotles. Sprinkle a bit more salt and pepper and top with the rest of the sauce.
6. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet (In case there is spillage in the oven. You’re welcome.) Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes feel soft when you insert a knife or a fork in the casserole. My oven doesn’t like to brown things so I broiled these on high for two minutes after they were done.
I know that chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are not available everywhere in the world, but you can substitute them with some other spicy pepper or even roasted red bell pepper. Or whatever you think would be good in a potato casserole!
If you top the casseroles with Daiya or your favorite cheese, you can tell people that you made Scalloped Potatoes.
Now let’s see what the ducks are up to.