How cute are these little guys? I love them!! The recipe that I used does call for butter, milk, and one egg, but replacing the butter and milk is a non-issue, right? Almond milk and vegan butter. Done. To replace the egg I did three things: I replaced some of the almond milk with coconut milk for extra fattiness, I mixed in some bread flour for extra binding action, and I added a little bit of turmeric powder for extra yellowness. Let me break it down precisely in case you want to make these too:
1. Instead of 3/4 cup of milk, I used 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk.
2. I used 3 1/2 cups of regular all purpose flour and 1 1/2 cup of bread flour.
3. I added 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric powder to the dry ingredients.
4. Instead of an egg wash, I brushed melted vegan butter all over the rolls right after I poked the little holes in them.
5. I baked the rolls at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes and broiled them on low for 4 more minutes. My oven doesn't like to brown things unless I broil them. If you decide to broil them too - watch them like a hawk!
6. As soon as they came out of the oven I brushed a little maple syrup all over them for a nice glossy finish.
the recipe, Holly!
OK, now that I've hogged all your bandwidth I might as well throw one more photo at you. Say hello to my little (wet) friend!