|Flourless Chocolate-Walnut Cookies|
1/2 cup almond meal, homemade or storebought
2/3 cup coconut sugar OR 1/2 cup white, turbinado, or brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup nut butter
4 to 6 tbsp coconut milk (not coconut "beverage")
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Beat with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds or until a smooth dough forms. Start on low to keep the cocoa powder from exploding all over your face and then crank it up higher. The dough will look chunky at first but keep mixing and it will become smooth. Your dough should be stiff but not crumbly. If it's crumbly just add a little bit more coconut milk until you're happy with it.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
6. Roll the dough into 24 or so one-inch balls and place them on the baking sheet leaving about an inch of space in between the cookies. Flatten each cookie slightly.
7. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet before you transfer them to a cooling rack.
They look nice, yes? Let me show you the bottom though (not my bottom - cheeky!)
I burnt them! I was distracted by our macho hummingbird that was posing right outside our window and next thing I knew the bottoms were burnt. Burning cookies makes me grumpy. And you know who else was grumpy? This guy...