Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies

Another day, another MoFo! So many awesome posts already! There are so many cool themes this year. Two of my favorite themes are Mihl’s “German desserts from A to Z“, and Becky’s “British Classics Made Vegan“. Do you know of any other country-specific MoFo themes that I might have missed?

My Lazy MoFo theme continues with these precious little Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies that are actually made with… *dun dun dunnnnn*… black beans! Remember last year when I told you about my first experience with chickpea cookies? Well, even though I eat those tasty chickpea cookies often, I never ventured into the world of other beany baked goods until yesterday. Enter these tasty little morsels:

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies
Aren’t they purdy? The do not taste like beans! I sweetened them with agave, but I can’t wait to try them with coconut nectar too. My batter was pretty sticky, so I smoothed the tops of the cookies with the back of a wet spoon. They are irresistibly gooey when they’re warm, and super fudgy at room temperature. I flung a warm one into Mr. Wing-It’s mouth and asked him what he thought about it…
Mr. Wing-It: Mmmonomnomnom good!
Me: They’re black bean cookies!
Mr. Wing-It: Wha??!!

So there you have it. Thank you, Gretchen, for sharing the recipe! Why did I wait so long to bake treats with black beans KNOWING that I already liked chickpea cookies? Because sometimes I’m a little dumb. Go make them!
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownie Cookies
Purdy Hummingbird

One of our backyard hummingbirds. Isn’t he handsome?

Vegan MoFo

Comments

Heya Vegan MoFo theme buddy! :)

Hmm, black bean cookies? I’ve never tried making a beany dessert because…well…beans. But! If you say they’re good then maybe I oughtta try? Maybe!

I’ve been tempted to make black bean brownies, but now that you mention it I can see why they might not bake very evenly. I’ll stick with cookies!

I make cakes and cookies with chickpeas a lot, and they turn out great. But black beans in baked goods have always scared me a little. You’ve convinced me, though. These look delicious!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has been skeptical of black beans. These cookies have lots of vanilla extract which I think keeps them from tasting beany. I hope you like them too if you try them!

These look great! Slipping beans and vegetables into everything makes me really happy. I made white bean blondies once, and I thought my friend was going to cry when I told her she was eating beans. At least it was a harmless trick!

These look delicious! I love black bean brownies and I never thought to use it in a cookie before, I will have to try them! =)

I’m not doing a country-specific theme but I am doing an ethnic food theme with a focus on 5 Regions – Asia, India, The Caribbean, Latin America and Europe.

Awesome! You have a yummy international MoFo going on! I will use your entries for inspiration because I don’t have anything planned ahead at all for this MoFo.

Superamazingness! I want one of these in the bottom of a little bowl, covered with vegan ice cream and drizzled with hot fudge. It would be a happy surprise at the bottom of the bowl. :)

Exactly! The thin candy shell thing is definitely noticeable when the cookies are still warm, but not so much at room temperature on the second day. The combination of the thin shell and the gooey chocolate chips is sooooo good!

Really glad you like my theme :) thanks for mentioning it!! These cookies look soo good, I’ve never included beans in baking before. It looks super healthy and gooey all at the same time hehe

I love your theme! My MoFo entries are not planned ahead, so I’m definitely going to have to steal a recipe from you. (by steal I mean make it and link to it, not really steal it!)

so glad you found the recipe, river. they are pretty addicting and delightful, huh?! always happy to share goodness and especially appreciative when it’s enjoyed so much.

8. Anonymous says

I was disappointed to find that when I clicked through to the recipe that these were indeed not vegan as they use honey.