Today it’s pumpkin time again! Although these little pumpkins are actually big phonies-there’s no pumpkin in them at all! It’s actually the same recipe that I used for my Happy Vegan Ghosts. It’s a bit different because they have different shapes and color, so I’ll re-post the recipe below…
|Happy Halloweegan Pumpkins
1/4 cup of coarsely ground chocolate chips
For the coating:
For the happy faces:
1. In a food processor grind up the chocolate chips until they break up into little pieces, but not so much that they turn into a powder. Set aside.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, beat the peanut butter, syrup, and vanilla with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds. Stir in the chopped chocolate chips.
3. Form little balls with the peanut butter mix and make a small dent at the top of each ball, just at the center. You can use the back of a small wooden spoon to do this, I don’t have any wooden spoons. My bamboo spoons have flat handles so I had to get creative and used a frozen green bean! :P
4. In a small bowl, use the carrot juice to dye the coconut, it might take you more or less than 2 tbsp, keep adding juice until it’s orange enough but not “wet”. It will be moist though, and this will help the coconut stick to the pumpkins.
5. Pour the coconut milk into a small, shallow bowl. Dip each pumpkin in the coconut milk, and then roll the wet pumpkins on the finely shredded coconut. If your pumpkins are nice and coated in orange coconut, you’re done, if they’re patchy and brown you’re going to have to dip them in coconut milk and roll them in shredded coconut again.
6. Now they need their happy faces! Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (I don’t have the patience for a double boiler). My microwave does this in 30 second intervals. Nuke the chips for 30 seconds, stir, nuke 30 seconds, stir, nuke, stir… until they’re melted. Use a piping bag with a round decorating tip to draw the eyes and mouths on. For the curly stems, draw an “upward spiral” on top of each pumpkin using the same decorating tip.
*You can use other nut butters instead of PB. Mmm almond butter! I bet that would be good!