* Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk (not "lite") works every time. The non-organic does not! They both have the same ingredients and nutritional info, but for some reason only the organic coconut milk works.
* You have to refrigerate it for at least six hours! Overnight is best, so you can be sure the fat has separated from the liquid. When you are ready to open the can, remember to be gentle and never shake it.
* The best choice of sweetener if you really want a stiff whipped cream is powdered sugar. If you want to use a liquid sweetener like maple syrup, keep in mind that more than two tablespoons per can would make your cream too soft. If I am not using it to decorate anything, I prefer a softer, creamier, maple-syrup sweetened cream. If I need it to hold its shape well, I use powdered sugar. You can try Stevia too!
* Keeping your the bowl of your mixer cold helps if you're a bit of a slowpoke! :)
* When you're ready to decorate your tart, cake, or whatever you're making - try to keep your hands cool to keep the cream in the pastry/decorating bag/ziploc from melting! Squeeze a bag of frozen peas or wrap your hands around a cold bottle of beer, pickles, ketchup, or whatever you have.
OK, I think that's all. This four minute video took me all day! Sorry the lighting in my kitchen is so crappy. For this whipped cream I tried to recreate a "worst case scenario". I used a liquid sweetener instead of powdered sugar, so the cream is at its softest, and I used a ziploc bag instead of a piping bag with a metal decorating tip and coupler. Also, I am standing at a weird angle because the camera is where I would normally stand, so a few of my ghosts are a bit crooked! And because I am an airhead, I decorated the whole tart only to realize that the camera wasn't recording, so I had to remove all the ghosts and do it all again. Anyway, I hope this helps! (Warning: loud background music!)
The only problem with the little ghosties is that they are very filling! One can of coconut milk makes enough whipped cream to ghostify two mini tarts or one big one, but then you can only eat a little sliver of tart before you're super stuffed. Doing only a small little cluster of ghosts in the center of the tart is a good alternative! Enjoy!