Lentil/Mushroom Loaf with Potato Filling

Today I bring you one of my favorite savory recipes. I already shared this one a couple of years ago, but it’s so good it deserves an encore presentation! This beauty was brought to Jeni Treehugger by “The Magic Mushroom King” himself when he visited her from his fairy realm. Either that or it came from a person, but I like the Magic Mushroom King version better. Behold the incomparable Lentil and Mushroom Loaf with Savory Potato Filling!

Lentil and Mushroom Loaf with Savoury Potato Filling

I like to make individual free-form mini loaves instead of one big one, and you get four little ones from one batch. I bake the wee ones at 350 degrees C for about 30 minutes. The beauty of this recipe is that it is very adaptable to whatever you have in your pantry. I only made it with wheat germ the first time, and now I make it with bread crumbs. It can be easily be made gluten-free with GF bread crumbs or ground oats too. And you can always replace the soy sauce with salt for a soy-free loaf. No mushrooms? Who cares! Jeni has even made it with zucchini! I cannot recommend this recipe enough, it truly is one of my favorite dishes of all time!

Vegan Roast Dinner Lentil and Mushroom Loaf with Savoury Potato Filling
Hello savory potato filling!

Vegan Roast Dinner Lentil and Mushroom Loaf with Savoury Potato Filling

Today’s TV show Supernatural! (Hello, Sal!) The new season starts today here in the US, and I’m really looking forward to it. It actually took me quite a few episodes to get into this show at first, but I knew it had to get better so I stuck with it. I’m glad I did! The show is a little bit of creepy and a whole lot of funny.  It’s not a comedy, but the writers keep things comical and the actors are hilarious when they’re being silly – although they are mainly badass. One of my favorite things about this show is the music – it’s like an ode to AC/DC.

Cute Mallard
Happy Duck says see you tomorrow! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I can’t wait to try it! I’m a new vegetarian who wants to be vegan. I’ve been using meatless meats to try to ease into the transition, but this just might be the first roast I cook that isn’t trying to imitate meat! Sounds awesome and satisfying! I might just make it for my meat portion of Christmas dinner this year; I’ll be the only herbivore in a meat-loving family ;o)

You’re very welcome! Being the only herbivore in a meat-loving family for the holidays can be a challenge! I have to say that I will take this delicious roast over any mock meat product any day. I do like my faux meats, but this little loaf is by far my favorite. The potato stuffing really makes it special. May I suggest that you make a trial version before Christmas? I am only suggesting this because Mr. Wing-It likes his a bit more moist, and I like mine a bit more dry, so it might take a trial-run for you to find out how you like it best. Good luck, Sara! :)

I was watching the Big Bang Theory where Sheldon was making Cylon toast. I figured it was time I watched the actual show. I was hooked pretty quickly. My mom watched the original when I was a kid and I definitely found it boring then. Maybe I’ll check out the old ones when I’m done.

I love these types of recipes but I’ve never made a lentil loaf with a stuffing before. It looks fantastic and mini-loaves sound even more appealing! Love your duck pics too!

I made that lentil loaf once and it rocked! It would be even more amazing with potato filling–super nom. And, oh, I wish I could give that duck a hug–the cutest!

Hello Happy Duck, you’re very pretty!

And I am still yet to try this recipe, despite your previous gushing!

And I’ve always wanted to watch Supernatural but I am a scaredy cat!

I’m totally in love with happy duck, do you think he’d mind if I gave him a little squeezy hug? So glad you love this recipe as much as we do River, your photos always look so super AWESOME.

I don’t think he will mind at all! Squeeze away, Jeni, squeeze away! This recipe is da bomb! And I wouldn’t have found it if you hadn’t shared it – do you mind if I give you a little squeeze hug? :P

I’m really glad you reprinted this because it looks so good. Back in the olden days we ancient vegans worshiped at the lentil loaf alter, but have forgotten our old ways. I repent. I will make this!