Messy Potpourri Post (Whole Wheat English Muffin-ish Stove Top Buns)

Yes, this post will be all over the place. We’re busy planning routes and getting everything ready, so there really hasn’t been a whole lotta cookin’ goin’ on. But when I saw Bianca’s Country Potato Soup on her recipe tester blog I just had to make it. Unfortunately, when I halved the recipe I messed up the liquid amounts and it doesn’t look as chunky as it should. The chunkiness is there though, and it was perfectly potatoey and comforting on this ridiculously cold weather. I topped it with some rice cheese strips, onion and bac’uns.
Bianca's Country Potato Soup
I won’t be getting a “World’s Best Recipe Tester” award any time soon, but Jenn will though! Check out her blog to see what this soup should really look like, plus other awesome test recipes from Bianca’s upcoming book and lots of vegan yummies of her own!
Remember my Thanksgiving/Christmas mini meatless loaves? Becks at I am not a rabbit very ingeniously adapted the recipe and made them into burgers, and they sure rock socks! I made them following her modifications and coated them with some corn flake crumbs. Please ignore my blurry picture and check out Becks’ instead. Really, if you haven’t found her blog yet, go check it out and you will become an instant fan. I’m not exaggerating, you’re depriving yourself of some serious awesomeness if you’re not acquainted with the Wabbit. Word. :)
Blurry meatless patties
The recipe also makes good meatballs…
Meatless balls
Let’s make some ovenless road food! I made some lazy buns on a frying pan, so if you don’t have an oven and want to make your own bread, I present you…
(I-Don’t-Have-Time-For-a-Yeast-Dough) Whole Wheat English Muffin-ish Stove Top Buns (longest title ever?)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (I like 1/4, but normal taste buds might want them saltier)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp oil

1- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2- Combine the soy milk and water and heat them up to 110 degrees F.
3- Add the oil to the soy milk and water.
4- Stir the water mix into the dry mix.
5- Knead the dough in the bowl for a minute or two. Remember, we don’t have time for a yeast dough, so forget all the kneading.
6- Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
7- Spray a 10 inch frying pan with cooking spray and turn the stove on medium-low.
8- Take six chunks of dough and form them into balls. Flatten them to about an inch high and place them on the prepared pan.
9- Cook covered for 15 minutes or until bottoms look brown.
10- Gently flip each bun helping yourself with two forks and cook on low-medium uncovered for 5 to 10 more minutes until bottoms are brown.

I must have these sliced and toasted, with a little Earth Balance and a cup of coffee…

Stove top buns with EB
And here they are still on the frying pan, post flipping…
Stove top buns
Now I will leave you with some very insightful animal facts from our travels…
Elk in Yellowstone National Park take the speed limit too seriously.
So do the buffalo.
Ducks in Billings, Montana are headless. Either that or they are very camera-shy!

Seagulls in Texas are very friendly. They fly by your car window and they look in and wave.
*Hey, dude*

Salt Lake City seagulls are not vegan.
Have a happy weekend! :)

(I had to disable comments for this one. For some reason this post is a spammer magnet!)

Comments

I’m so glad you like them, Marie! Great improvisation with the homemade oat flour! :-)

Thank you for letting me know that you liked them and sorry it took me so long to reply!

2. Marie says

Yum just made your english muffins tonight and they were fantastic! I didn’t have oat bran or flax seed in the house so I made my own oat flour (old fashioned oats in the food processor for about 3 min) and used that instead…they came out so well and are really quick… I will never again buy premade english muffins. Thank you!

I love making English muffins. Your meatballs are making me drool, but seriously everything on your blog makes me drool. Oh, potato soup. So when do you leave?

Loved your animal photos! And that soup looked seriously good, I think you make an awesome tester.

And wow, english muffins on the road.. I didn’t think that was even possible!

Of course let me know if your travels ever bring you to Houston! (I’m guessing the seagulls were somewhere along the Texas coastline…)

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments! I’m glad you’re enjoying all the animal pictures, I’ll post more next time. We have so many and we will take so many more this year that I don’t think we’ll ever run out!

I’m trying to reply via everyone’s blogs.

Maybe that little guy was just picking up the trash?

Anyway, everyrthing looks so good in this post I am saving it all to make at another date. I mean really. Oh and I see your Luke’s diner mug there in the corner!

Oh, I am SO making those english muffins! I can never get rid of the mass quantities of whole wheat flour in my cupboard. Great idea!

aw! i love the seagull and the headless ducks the most, River! ahahahaa! you take the best photos!

your english muffinish rolls look sooooooo awesome – better than any english muffin i’ve seen! thanks for the recipe! and i’ve got a craving for your meatless balls now! they look perfect & soooo tasty! aren’t Bianca’s recipes super stellar! dan & i love them all! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

hope you two are having fun planning & i hope you had a glorious weekend, too!

That waving seagull photo cracks me up.

Your English Muffin madness sounds wonderful. I have a bag of oat bran that has been in my pantry for almost 5 years (ridiculously, it even traveled with us during the move from CA to TN). I finally opened it and am starting to use it. Love that your recipe helps me to use up at least 1/4 cup of it. Woot!!

Oh My Dog River I LOVE your animal pictures!!! I was cracking up out loud and had to stifle my laughter because Guppy’s in bed! And your a freaking wonder chef with your english muffin amazingness!

hey River, thankyou so much for the sunflower seed butter cookie recipe idea, after reading your comment on my post I was like ‘that’s brilliant!’ i whipped up a batch today! thanks again

OMGZ….I love everything about this post…I am checking out CCV’s site after this!!

Oh Dorian Gray…Luke mug… animal pics…fabulous food…this entire post screams RIVVY!!!

Your loaf pic isn’t blurry….it’s the food that’s having a b***hy day like a 16 year old model.lol.

I wanna travel with you!I wanna travel with you!I wanna travel with you!

(If I say it 3 times it might come true?)hehe

i can’t believe there’s buffalo on the road!!! that’s crazy but i love it. i would die if i saw one trying to cross the street- too funny.

making titles for recipes is always fun. your title is perfect and the word “yeast” always makes me laugh. it’s the best ingredient.

i do agree with you that becks and jenn are both awesome. how did they get to be soo cool??? i think they got on the coolness train when we both hopped on the circus train.

wow those muffins look a-mazing, so delicious! And i love long titles!
    By the way i adore your Luke’s mug, i want one lol!
    I’m totally up for a team CCV shirt, or as she suggested a team River- you girlies are just the cutest!
    Have a great day
    xo

The team CCV tee shirt would be so cool! You got my vote on that one.

I really want the burgers and muffin/bun thingys! I’m bookmarking the recipe for sure.

I LOVE the photos of the animals, your commentary made me giggle =)

Oh my gosh! River! Your photos are astonishing! The elk! The Buffalo! Argh! Fantastic! I haven’t had a chance to make your meatless loaves, yet but they are high on my list! Oh, and the crust bubble? Pure luck! I have no idea how that works, but it’s fabulous when it does!

I love Becks, too. She’s so creative and cracks me up. Now here’s a question, where’d you get your awesome baker-ing skills? I’ve got the cooking thing pretty well covered, but baking seems so unpredictable for me. Any suggestions?

Mmmm… I could just have me a hot muffin spread with pure and lingonberry jam… are you sure that wasn’t what the elk was dreaming about? ^_~

I think that potato soup looks great! And the english-muffin-y recipe is genius! All of your photos are adorable, and the captions are perfect. I especially love the elk. :)

Wow, River, I don’t even know what to say. Those are some of the kindest words anyone has ever written about me, ever! I stand by everything I said about you in my post… and more! I am seriously so grateful that I met you through the blogging world, because I love not only your posts but also your kind spirit. LOL and how funny are you with the seagull commentary?!

-Katie (who thinks a “Team River” tee shirt is in order)

Dude! You have to stop it now because my hats are getting tight! (Rabbit’s head is getting big!).

Your recipe is just awesome, I will happily sing it’s praises all day long! (I can’t promise it will be in tune, but it’s the thought that counts, right?) And your burgers look way yummier than mine too (I think the mince I use is too chunky, maybe I should whizz it for a bit?).

Your animal pictures are A.MAZING! I love them all, and your descriptions are just perfect! So cute and funny!
    (You have no idea how excited I get to see your posts pop up in my feeds. Can’t wait for the next one already! Loving your work!).

I’m really looking forwards to seeing a picture of Jerry too, if you ever find one >:o)

Hey River, I am serious. If you get down to Florida, Savanah and I would love for you to come over and knock out some meals with us, plus we now have the 1st season of Gilmore Girls on DVD. How cool is that.

Food, coffee, and Gilmore Girls.

The soup looks great–and those buns-cum-muffins are a fabulous idea. They do look like English muffins!

Good luck planning. Maybe you’ll meet some of those cutie animals on the road. :)