Vegan MoFo – Halloweegan Spider Cupcakes

I ran out of spooky inspiration for a couple of days, but now I got my second wind and I’m ready for more MoFo and Halloweegan! Spider cupcakes, anyone?

Halloweegan Spider Cupcakes

I used this recipe for the chocolate cupcakes, and a wing-it pumpkin buttercream frosting. The frosting had a very mild and pleasant flavor, but feel free to increase the amount of pumpkin if you want a stronger flavor.

Pumpkin Butter Cream Frosting

1/2 cup Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup (add more to taste if you like a very sweet frosting)
1 tsp vanilla extract

1- Cream the Earth Balance with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2- Mix in the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla. Keep mixing for a minute or two or until smooth and creamy. This is enough frosting for 12 cupcakes.

The spiderweb design on the cupcakes is made with melted chocolate chips (You know that I like to melt my chips in the microwave, in 15 second intervals.)

1- Pour the melted chocolate chips into a pastry bag, and draw a small chocolate circle at the very top of the cupcake. Repeat with three or four more circles from top to bottom. Work quickly so the chocolate doesn’t harden before you move on to the next step!
2- Take a toothpick and run it from the top to the bottom of the frosting to create the spiderweb effect. Repeat 6 times around the cupcake. The spider recipe is coming tomorrow, because I’ll making more spider treats!

The fabulousness that is Sal from Alien on Toast has tagged me, which means now I have to show you the contents of our freezer:

Please note the veggie “bugers”. *Dunce*. There are also tortillas, pitas, whole wheat buns, and hamburger buns in the back. (Update: the Morning Star Farms crumbles are no longer vegan!) We have fruits and veggies on the door. That’s chopped celery in the ziploc bag below. We only eat some of the whole head of celery before it starts getting funky, so I just chop it up and freeze it for later.

Off to read all your MoFo-ings! :)

Comments

I love a spider cupcake. that web technique is my fave.

I was expecting to see some halloweegan items in your freezer. nary a chocolate spider was found…

Your freezer is ridiculously organized. I don’t meant that it is organized ridiculously, just that it is so freaking neat and clean! You rock.

I love pumpkinniny things. The frosting on these cupcakes would hit the spot!

yum!!! i love pumpkin + chocolate together. i can’t wait to make the pumkpkin buttercream!

and love the freezer pictures and pointing arrows. i think this is a really fun idea! (especially for vegans/vegetarians)

i just love your cuppies! the spiders are just too adorable!

your freezer is the neatest ever! i had no idea you could freeze chopped celery………..now i’m off to chop up some celery we have that’s about to get a little funky! thanks, River! :D

pumpkin butter cream frosting??! seriously sounds like the best thing on earth…i was gonna tag u for the freezer thing bu uve already been tagged! awesome post and I want those cupcakes delivered to my house asap ;)

Your freezer looks like the POSTER CHILD freezer.. mine looks like… well… let’s just say I’m not gonna post a picture (yet) but it might motivate me to clean out and inventory :D

I just love what you’re doing for Vegan MoFo this year – the cupcakes look awesome! My daughters entire halloween lunchbox will be comprised of your recipes – so cool!

Ever since I saw it, I wanted to try making a cobweb like you did now, with a toothpick… Maybe now I’ll be brave enough this Halloween!

Those cupcakes are just brilliant! And I’m sure they taste so good – chocolate and pumpkin is such a great combination. How do you keep coming up with this stuff?

Trackbacks