I've been obsessed with cornbread and chili lately. Maybe it's because I find myself longing for Autumn and some nice cool weather. My favorite corbread recipe is the Grandma's Cornbread Made Vegan recipe from vegweb.com. I have adjusted the amounts of sugar and salt to my personal preference and I usually bake this as mini loaves instead of one big square cornbread.
|Vegan Cornbread (Adapted from VegWeb)|
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup soy milk
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. You can also use a mini loaf pan or a muffin pan.
2. In a small bowl or cup, mix the water and Ener-G Egg Replacer until smooth and lump-free.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Pour the milk, oil, and the egg replacer on top of the dry ingredients and gently fold with a large spoon until all the ingredients are just combined.
5. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cornbread comes out clean.